- ŠKODA Citigoe iV and Superb iV owners can use Amazon Alexa to start or stop charging remotely and check electrical range
- Customers can do this from anywhere, including the comfort of their sofa
- Drivers can control air-conditioning and check windows are closed using their voice
- Amazon Alexa can interact in four different languages
- Updates to be added to Google Home ŠKODA Connect Action by Autumn
Milton Keynes, 28 July 2020 – Drivers of ŠKODA’s all-electric Citigoe iV and Superb iV plug-in hybrid can now use Amazon Alexa voice assistants to start or stop charging remotely and check on the remaining range of their cars, all from the comfort of their home.
The new features are part of a raft of upgrades added to the ŠKODA Connect service, with iV owners now able to perform a range of actions to simplify the charging and management of their electric vehicle.
One of the highlights is motorists can now check the charge level of their vehicles’ lithium-ion battery before embarking on a journey, and if needed, can give it an extra bit of charge using solely the power of their voice without having to physically intervene.
For the function to work, customers simply need to ensure their charging cable is connected and use the command “Alexa, ask ŠKODA, I want to start charging my car.” Similarly, the “Alexa, ask ŠKODA…” command can be used to control all of the new features added to the Alexa skill.
Other notable upgrades see the ŠKODA Connect Alexa Skill now able to communicate in four languages – English, French, German and Italian – across all ŠKODA iV models. In addition, the updates allow drivers to control air conditioning levels, with the option to start up the system before getting into the car so that it’s at the optimal, desired temperature.
Amazon Alexa devices offer drivers a variety of additional data and information about their car. These include checking the remaining oil level, the current parking location and even obtaining a vehicle health check. The health check provides up-to-date data on the vehicle’s current condition and if any servicing is recommended, such as replacing the brake pads. The voice assistant can also helpfully advise whether the windows and doors are closed, the lights are off and if the vehicle is locked.
To use Alexa, customers require an Amazon account and an Alexa device, through which the ŠKODA Connect Alexa skill is activated. The vehicle owner then needs to link this skill to their ŠKODA Connect user account. Vehicle data, both for iV vehicles and traditional petrol and diesel models, can be accessed in all ŠKODA models which are equipped with ŠKODA Connect and have a mobile internet connection via a SIM card.
The technology updates will continue to be rolled out across the rest of the ŠKODA iV range, including the Octavia iV and Octavia iV vRS plug-in hybrids, which are due to be released later this year. The ability to start and stop charging and control air conditioning will also be added to all Google Home devices in the next few weeks using the Google Home ŠKODA Connect Action. These features will work in exactly the same way as Alexa devices, using the command “Ok Google, talk to ŠKODA Connect…” to control the necessary actions.
Overview of features, including upgrades:
|SKODA Connect Alexa Skill 3.0||Google Home SKODA Connect 2.0 (update available in August 2020)|
|Start or stop charging start/stop||Start or stop charging start/stop|
|Check charging status||Check charging status|
|Check battery level||Check battery level|
|Remaining charging time||Remaining charging time|
|Start or stop air conditioning||Start or stop air conditioning|
|Check air conditioning status||Check air conditioning status|
|Italian language added.||German, French and Italian languages added.|
|Check last parking space||Check last parking space|
|Check oil life and service||Check oil life and service|
Head of Press and PR
M +44 7814 674 661
T +44 1908 548 042 email@example.com
Media Relations Manager
M +44 7748 111 959
T +44 1908 548 062
- is this year celebrating 125 years since the company was founded during the pioneering era of the automobile in 1895, making it one of the longest-established car manufacturers in the world.
- currently offers its customers nine passenger-car series: the CITIGO, FABIA, RAPID, SCALA, OCTAVIA and SUPERB as well as the KAMIQ, KAROQ and KODIAQ.
- delivered 1.24 million vehicles to customers around the world in 2019.
- has belonged to Volkswagen Group since 1991. The Volkswagen Group is one of the most successful vehicle manufacturers in the world. In association with the Group, ŠKODA AUTO independently develops and manufactures vehicles, as well as components such as engines and transmissions.
- operates at three locations in the Czech Republic; manufactures in China, Russia, Slovakia and India mainly through Group partnerships, as well as in Ukraine and Kazakhstan with local partners.
- employs approximately 42,000 people globally and is active in more than 100 markets.
- is pressing ahead with the transformation from a traditional car manufacturer to the ‘Simply Clever company for the best mobility solutions’ as part of the ŠKODA 2025 Strategy.